Log on to WWW.ECLIPSETRENDY.COM.NG, Contact us @ [email protected]

Wednesday, 7 November 2018

Employer in alleged workers' abuse case nabbed two days ago: Labour Dept.

 
An employer, who allegedly mistreated his 48 workers from India, is now in police custody, Labour Department said today.

The department, in a statement, said that the employer was arrested two days ago at Bentong district police headquarters.

“The employer was picked up when he went to lodge a report on the workers' escape.

“The department, police and the Immigration Department will investigate the matter and take action based on the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act (ATIPSOM) 2007,” the statement read.

Besides ATIPSOM, the case was also being investigated under the Employment Act 1955.

It was reported that the foreign workers fled their workplace on Sunday following allegation of forced labour at a telecommunication tower construction site in Bentong, Pahang.

The predicament of the victims came to light after they sent a video to friends and family in India asking for help.

Sabai assemblyman D. Kamache said that the victims claimed that they were forced to work without salary by their employer and also threatened with physical abuse.

In the statement, the Labour Department said 12 of its officers had been assigned to record statements from all the victims on Monday.

The session was also attended by the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Council (MAPO) and 25 Immigration officers.

“According to workers, they were working for a Pahang-based company since July.

“They claimed to have been mistreated and had not been paid monthly salary of 25,000 rupee (approximately RM1,435) as promised.”

The statement said some of the workers claimed they had not been paid for three months while others said they had only received the first's month's salary.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ET Viewers Comment Here